Monday, July 14, 2008

When and Who to tell WHAT? maturity is key

I was thinking the other day about something my oldest daughter is quick to do these days...
We used to be able to talk or "spell" anything and continue conversations with all the children in the car with us. Now, because KG can spell anything and is most curious about what the "big people" are talking about (how does she fit in?), when I start a conversation out of her ability to understand, her mom will motion the "don't talk about that now" sign,
and we wait for a better time. Then I was thinking about the times when she will say...
"KG would understand, but we need to be careful not to talk about that around the younger ones because they would misinterpret or become frightened
when there is really not need for that response".
For example... say a storm is coming and one of the children has had unresolved bad experiences with thunder and lightning... if they heard the weather forecasting a storm, they might already be making preparations in their young hearts to sleep in mom and dad's bed on this scary night. It might only be a shower, but because of past experience, or their lack of understanding of the meteorologist's words, they are better off NOT knowing and leaving the details of preparation and safety to mom and dad.
In the wee hours of this morning I had a rather frightening dream... a flood in our area that rendered us incapable of travel (we have had those! like in 2002!)... I came to an intersection that I had to cross and it was flooded... I entered the water anyway, and it covered my car... I was fearful.. I prayed, I emerged from the other side with other cars watching and trying to decide if I'd make it or not (or else trying to decide if they'd choose to do the same thing).
I'm not really thinking this is any kind of prophetic dream... at least not right now...
but I am thinking about how God speaks to me.
At what level of maturity am I in my spiritual growth?
What things will my Father allow me to know, and what things will He keep hidden from my heart, not because He wants me to be surprised or caught off guard, but simply because my maturity level will not handle the knowledge as it should?
Faith comes from HEARING.... well, I'll just put the scripture here... Romans 10:17
"THE R501 WORD IS NEAR YOU, IN YOUR MOUTH AND IN YOUR HEART"--that is, the word of faith which we are preaching, 9 that F174 if R502 you confess with your mouth Jesus as Lord, and believe R503 in your heart that God R504 raised Him from the dead, you will be saved; 10 for with the heart a person believes, resulting F175 in righteousness, and with the mouth he confesses, resulting F176 in salvation. 11 For the Scripture says, "WHOEVER R505 BELIEVES IN HIM WILL NOT BE DISAPPOINTED F177 ."
12 For there
R506 is no distinction between Jew and Greek; for the same Lord is Lord R507 of all, R508 abounding in riches for all who call on Him; 13 for "WHOEVER R509 WILL CALL ON THE NAME OF THE LORD WILL BE SAVED." 14 How then will they call on Him in whom they have not believed? How will they believe in Him whom R510 they have not heard? And how will they hear without a R511 preacher? 15 How will they preach unless they are sent? Just as it is written, "HOW R512 BEAUTIFUL ARE THE FEET OF THOSE WHO BRING R513 F178 GOOD NEWS OF GOOD THINGS!" 16 However, they did R514 not all heed the good F179 news; for Isaiah says, "LORD R515 , WHO HAS BELIEVED OUR REPORT?" 17 So faith comes from hearing, and hearing by the word of Christ. 18 But I say, surely they have never heard, have they? Indeed they have; "THEIR R518 VOICE HAS GONE OUT INTO ALL THE EARTH, AND THEIR WORDS TO THE ENDS OF THE WORLD F181 ." 19 But I say, surely Israel did not know, did they? First Moses says, "I R519 WILL MAKE R520 YOU JEALOUS BY THAT WHICH IS NOT A NATION, BY A NATION WITHOUT UNDERSTANDING WILL I ANGER YOU." 20 And Isaiah is very bold and says, "I R521 WAS FOUND BY THOSE WHO DID NOT SEEK ME, I BECAME MANIFEST TO THOSE WHO DID NOT ASK FOR ME." 21 But as for Israel He says, "ALL R522 THE DAY LONG I HAVE STRETCHED OUT MY HANDS TO A DISOBEDIENT AND OBSTINATE PEOPLE."
****** and then******
Amos 3: (really the whole chapter)
6 When a trumpet sounds in a city, do not the people tremble? When disaster comes to a city, has not the Lord caused it? 7 Surely the Sovereign Lord does nothing without revealing his plan to his servants the prophets. 8 The lion has roared-- who will not fear? The Sovereign Lord has spoken-- who can but prophesy?
anyone reading must realize that when I write in this blog, these are usually thoughts in progress, and as such, should NEVER be taken as anything other than my personal ponderings!
*so now I am considering...... who/what/where am I hearing?
*am I weighing sufficiently and correctly the things I am receiving?
*as I speak, am I considering the maturity of the ones in front of whom I stand before I open my mouth? for them or just for me?
*do I receive the "sent ones"?
*do I recognize them?
*can I hear the VOICE of the ONE WHO is all in all?
*where am I in my maturity?
LORD.....I want to grow in my maturity as your "son". I want to be able to handle whatever is from your loving hands. I want to receive the good and perfect gifts that only You can give, and I want to know what to do with what You've granted. I want to be a trusted child proven in the trials You've allowed for my perfection, and I want to be whatever it is You've ordained for the building of Your kingdom...
There is no room for arrogance or condescension in the kingdom, for there is only one KING, and I believe that the most important and valuable thing I can be is simply what I'm asked to be by that sovereign LORD of ALL! May we each one recognize that place of cherished sonship.....may we never have the spirit of an orphan who must hoard, may we know we are sons in the house of our Father Who provides all we need as we need it because we are His heirs and His beloved ones. May we as sons be distributors, generous and gracious as the One Who's name we bear. LORD help me be the best me that I can be by Your GRACE.

No comments: